Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bands that were huge last year... that I just heard now.

When you're a busy dude like me (class two days a week! an almost sort of full time job! at least 3 requisite nights at the bar a week!), it's easy to let some of the best music slip right by you.

Well, over the past 10 hours, I've spent some much needed time playing catch up with some of last year's gems... instead of writing the paper that's now due in 51 minutes.

Nonetheless, in case you too missed some of these sparks of brilliance, here are a few suggestions to brush up your knowledge of what totally killed in 2008.

Enjoy!

Frightened Rabbi
t: Yes, I've already kicked myself, difficult as it was, for not having heard Frightened Rabbit until now. But now that I have, my mind is running circles around the beautifully tortured mess that this band creates with each song. Pumping guitars, meandering melodies and enough jangle to creep into every nook and cranny of your brain. Epic, stunning. Listen now.


The Tallest Man on Earth: It's been said over and over and over, so this extremely late name-drop comparison won't hurt any feelings; dude sounds like a more ethereal Dylan. Like Dylan singing from a desolate bayou porch in the middle of the coldest night in November, wind swirling all around him, the only light coming from a single candle that's about to burn out.


Raphael Saadiq: Yessssssssss. Raphael just feels right, like a glass of wine on a night in with somebody to hold onto tight. Does that sound cheesy? Fine, but this is feel-good soul like only the greats like Stevie and the Reverend can pull off. Play this at any time of day for an instant chill out, and expect to call people 'cat' for several hours following.


I've still got more catching up to do, but these three will keep me smiling at least until I hand in this paper... in 37 minutes. Student, me?

No comments:

Post a Comment